Academic Catalog

Complaints and Grievance Policies


The subject of a complaint is an action, decision, or omission within the control or responsibility of the University’s faculty or staff that results in specific policies or procedures incorrectly applied. The following procedure should be followed:

  1. Informal Complaint
    The student should discuss the issue with primary party involved, whether it is their faculty member or a university employee. Both parties should work to resolve the issue at this level.
    If resolution does not occur, unresolved complaints should be discussed with the Academic Advisor who will determine the need for submission via a Complaint Form with evidence.
  2. Formal Complaint
    Students use the Complaint Form to submit their complaint with applicable and supportive evidence within 90 days of the incident in which the complaint situation occurs. The Office of Student Services will review the complaint/evidence and determine its validity within 5 days. Final documented resolution by the school or department administrator will occur within 14 days.


A grievance is a claim that there has been a violation of Aspen University’s policies or procedures by university representatives and may result in disciplinary action. In order to file an academic grievance, the student must demonstrate actual harm from misuse or violation of policy or procedure. A procedural or policy violation has to have occurred. The grievance process should not be used for appeals of an earned final course grade (academic), operational (non-academic), or Title IX issues. The grievance process requires that all parties make a good faith effort to resolve all issues. The following is the Grievance Policy procedure:

  1. Completion of the Grievance Form and Documentation
    A student must submit the Grievance Form to the Academic Advisor and include all pertinent information. Such information should include the informal steps taken to resolve the issue, with all steps fully documented as to the person(s) with whom the student met, date, results of the meeting(s) and materials presented during the informal resolution stage. The student must be specific as to the issue being grieved, citing the example(s) of treatment leading to the grievance.
  2. Formal Grievance Committee Intervention
    Upon receipt of a completed Grievance Report Form, the Academic Advisor will notify the Manager to request the Aspen University Grievance Committee be convened.
    The Grievance Committee will conduct an initial review of the grievance to determine whether it sets forth information and allegations that reasonably suggest a need for further action. If necessary, the Grievance Committee may require additional information. If the requested information is not received within 15 calendar days of the request, the grievance may be considered abandoned.

    If the Grievance Committee determines the grievance information and allegations does not require further action, the individual filing the grievance will be notified with an explanation within 30 days and the grievance may be closed.

    If the Grievance Committee determines the grievance information and allegations does require further action, The Committee will facilitate a resolution for all parties within 30 days.
  3. Decision Appeal 
    A decision made by the Grievance Committee may be appealed to the Provost. The Provost will discuss with other leadership as appropriate and render a decision in writing within 30 days. The Provost’s decision is final. The individual filing the grievance will be updated throughout the grievance process.


Registering a Complaint with the State

If you have a complaint that cannot be resolved exhausting the University's grievance procedure, you may contact the Arizona State Board for Private Post-Secondary Education online here, send the complaint to 1740 West Adams Street, #3008, Phoenix, AZ, 85007, or call (602) 542-5709.

  • Georgia residents have the right to appeal the final institutional decision to Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (GNPEC). 
    Contact Information:
    Agency: Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (GNPEC)
    Address: 2082 East Exchange Place, Tucker, GA 30084
    Phone: (770)-414-3300
  • Iowa residents: Aspen University is registered to offer instruction to Iowans by the Iowa College Student Aid Commission. Prospective or current students with questions or complaints about Aspen University may contact the Commission at:

Contact Information:
Agency: Iowa College Student Aid Commission
Address:475 SW Fifth Street, Suite D, Des Moines, IA 50309-4608
Toll-free Telephone:(877) 272-4456
Online Student Dispute Resolution Request:

  • Wisconsin residents who have a complaint that is not satisfactorily resolved may contact the Wisconsin Educational Approval Department

Contact Information:
Address: 4288 Madison Yards Way, Madison, WI 53705
Phone: (608) 266-2112, ext. 5, ext. 2


You may also click on the map found here if you prefer to contact the state of your residence.


Registering a Complaint with an Accreditor

If you have a complaint that cannot be resolved exhausting the University's grievance procedure, you may contact DEAC online here.  For nursing students, you may also contact CCNE.

Contact Information:
Address:655 K Street, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 887-6791